>Back from my deathbed

>OK, that’s a little dramatic. I was by no means on the brink of death, but I was holed up in my apartment with chicken soup and water for days this week. I woke up Tuesday morning with a 101.5° fever! I chalked it up to a summer cold, called in to work, took some ibuprofen and went back to sleep. A few days later I broke down and went to the doctor, and I’m glad I did. It cost me an arm and a leg (oh health insurance, how I miss you…) but I got antibiotics, and I’m all better now!

basting.JPG

And since I’m all better, I finally got to take the mystery wall-hanging to its new home! It’s a housewarming gift for my friend Erika and her husband, who recently bought their first house. (Erika, you’ll have to send me pictures when it’s hung up!) Since the gift has been gifted, it is no longer a mystery:

Pure wall hanging.jpg

I wanted a way to let the text prints shine (and be legible), so I made them the center of some star blocks. The windowpane border is a print from the Denyse Schmidt Katie Jump Rope collection that I picked up at my LQS. I’ve been using it a lot lately (in my purse and some bee blocks), I need to see if I can pick up some more before its gone.

To keep the outer border of 4½” squares a little more interesting, I quilted stars echoing the shape of the stars in the center blocks. I used a programmed stitch on my machine in the center of each windowpane strip.

After mapping it all out, but before I started cutting, I made a tester block out of some charm squares that wouldn’t make it into the top (front?) of the wall-hanging. After leaving it on my “design wall” for a few weeks, I decided it would make a perfect label (but evidently I didn’t decide to take pictures of it!). The rest of the back is simple muslin. I made a sleeve and added loops with embroidery thread so they could decide how they wanted to hang it. I’m really happy with how it turned out, even though I think I stretched the backing a bit when I basted it.

I was hoping to post some progress in the Hexagon Quilt Along, but I don’t have any pictures to show yet. Before I got sick, I finished quilting it (I took the easy way out, but I still like the effect), and on Friday I sewed the binding to the front. I intended to hand-stitch the binding down last night, but those inside corners really threw me for a loop, so I put it away. I’m determined to finish it, as well as my August blocks for the Bee in my Bonnet, before I start cutting into this:

How are you motivating yourself to finish projects this week?

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “>Back from my deathbed

  1. >Sorry to hear that you've been so sick, but glad to hear you've made it through to the other side!I love your Pure wall-hanging quilt! I really like this fabric line. Do you have any tips for making the hanging sleeve? I want to make one for the swap I'm participating in, but I'm not sure how to make one.Can't wait to see what you do with your Fandango!

  2. >That Pure wall hanging is genious!I couldnt figure out the binding on the hexagon quilt either so I added 30 degree triangles and ended up with a square quilt! Good luck with that…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s